BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 29, 2010

Singing, Lacrosse, and the Devil's Park

I feel bad that I haven't posted in a while, but I've just been busy. Well, more like lazy and yelled at every time I get on the computer. Quite a bit has happened, and I'll try to keep it shortish...

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a solo and ensemble clinic. I talked about solo and ensemble in one of my posts from last February (in the second and fourth paragraphs. Disregard the other stuff about me being in love with Anthony Bailey, that is way over and I barely talk to him anymore, except we texted each other for like ten minutes yesterday but other than that I never talk or see him). Solo and ensemble is where you sing a solo or in an ensemble, it has to be an art song (like a folk song or something, no pop), and you sing it in front of judges and they give you a score from 1 to 5, 1+ being the best, and 5- being the worst. Last year, even though I thought I did terrible and I was so mad at myself, I got a 1- and almost made it to districts. I really want to make it to districts this year, and my dear cousin Amanda told me about her voice teacher, Chris, who does a clinic for it every year.

So, I had one private lesson, three group lessons, and a recital. A guy named Taylor Myers, who was in my EFY company, was there too, so it was pretty cool to see him again. During the lessons, we learned to sight sing, clap rhythms, sing the Layton High School song in a harmony (bleh, go Viewmont!), and practice singing our solos in front of each other. I sang Scarborough Fair. I couldn't find the exact version on youtube, but that one's still cool. I love that song! Amanda sang Danny Boy. It was great, and I really enjoyed singing it in the recital, I wasn't really nervous. It was fun. I hope I get to go to districts this year!

I'm on the Viewmont girls lacrosse team. We've been conditioning this past month (I was seriously limping when I walked, I was soooo sore!!), and now we get to finally use our lacrosse sticks. We have to wear goggles and a mouth guard too which is very flattering. The mouth guard scared me because you have to put it in boiling water and then stick it in your mouth and let it mold in your mouth, and it burned. They are quite disgusting, I hate using them because then it's covered in spit and I don't want it in my mouth. I'm excited to start really training with sticks and getting better and I can't wait for the games to start in March!

I'm in musical theater at my school. Tryouts were last April, and it's 7th period during second semester. We're doing Bye Bye Birdie which I'm super excited for!! I want to either be Kim or Ursula (Kim's hyper best friend). I was worried because Swallow hasn't seen my hyper side. She just thinks I'm some quiet girl who likes to sing, so I'm determined to show her the real me during tryouts! Even if I don't get a main part I'll be happy, it's not like I expect to anyway. I can't wait to get started! Tryouts are next week, the dance tryouts are on Monday, and the actual part tryouts are on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm still not sure how it will work out with lacrosse, but I'm confident I'll find a way.

I'm probably going to work at Lagoon again this summer :( I hated working there, but I need a job and chances are, I'm not going to get another job with this economy. My friend gave me the ride department's number, so I'm going to try and get a job in that department, but if I can't then I'll just do games.... This is going to be another AMAZING summer...

Well, that's my month. Oh, well I forgot to mention that my dear mother turned 37 last week. Yay!! I like telling my friends that because a lot of their moms are in their 40's. Goodbye everyone, wish me luck with try-outs and solo and ensemble!

1 comments:

Allison said...

Your last paragraph just made me laugh. Hard. Haha my mom's 39 and I love telling people that too! You're a good writer - I really love how you just tell it like it is. There's no attempts to sound poetic or mysterious or superior you say what you did, thought, and felt. It's quite refreshing actually! Thanks for having correct spelling and grammar as well :)