BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Jon Schmidt Concert

Last Saturday, Amanda and I went to Jon Schmidt's concert at Waterfall Amphitheater at Thanksgiving Point. Mom sat in the car and read the whole time. The line of cars to get in was huge, and then the line was super long. Thankfully, I had my iPod so Amanda and I watched "A Very Potter Musical" which is a hilarious Harry Potter musical that Amanda was watching on youtube the previous night so I had downloaded it on my iPod before we left. That made time speed up a bit. It didn't really click to me that amphitheater means outside. Therefore, everyone there had blankets and chairs, except Amanda and me. Oh well. We finally got in and headed towards the huge amphitheater. It was so beautiful there with waterfalls and lots of trees above them. They sold food, drinks, and Jon Schmidt CD's and books. After we found a spot, Amanda went with me to go look at the piano books. I couldn't resist, I bought one. I bought the one with The Summit and Pachelbel Meets U2 in it. We then lay down on the grass and watched "A Very Potter Musical" and a band called Avenue of Ember played for ten minutes. The place was crowded and very packed, there were thousands of people there.

The show finally started and Jon started out playing a really amazing piece called Game Day. I totally want to learn that one. He then played Waterfall next which was very pretty, especially since the waterfalls in the background came on while he started playing. He played many songs and was hilarious. Everyone wanted to hear his new piece Love Story Meets Viva La Vida so everyone was getting really excited as his celloist, Steve, came out and he said to everyone "I now want to play a song for all of the girls out there, my wife loves this song..." Everyone was sure he was going to play that song, but then he said "It's Song of the Ocean" and then a lot of people groaned. It's a very beautiful song but we really wanted to hear the Love Story Meets Viva La Vida song. He finally did play it. I called my sister, Ashley, right before the song started. She was over at her friend's house but she stayed on the phone for like 8 minutes listening to the song even though I didn't talk to her the whole time. She later said that she was surprised to hear every screaming and clapping and thought it would be like a nice piano recital where everyone politely claps and nods their heads silently to eachother. I was trying to tell her and Dad earlier, it's an actual concert, not a dumb recital. They're fun and crazy and exciting.

Jon played some other songs and threw out ice cream to people. He had a random guy who he's never met before (seriously, it wasn't previously planned with this guy) come up and play a certain jazz chord and then play the piano with him using that chord. It sounded so cool and proffesional and that guy (Jeremy) was amazing. Jon was really impressed, and they both were standing up and dancing at the piano during part of it. They both played it without previously ever playing together or learning anything. It was all spontaneous (is that the right word? You guys are getting what I'm trying to say right??). Jon was then having everyone laugh by playing "Terminator Meets Man From Snowy River" which was really funny and weird to hear. Try mixing those two together in your head. Everyone was laughing really hard when he played it. He then played "Be Happy Meets The Phantom of the Opera" Oh man good stuff. He played All of
Me which I am currently learning. He told us that if he did happen to get an encour, he would play Love Story Meets Love Story. He had to make that song because he hasn't yet gotten permission from Coldplay to do the other version. We of course, wanted an encour so he graciously gave it to us. But right before, a man came up with his girlfriend and proposed to her. Awww.

Anyway, it was a super fun night and if anyone wants to go to one, call me and we totally will. Jon Schmidt is amazing.

***I found this on youtube and I thought it was HILARIOUS! It's a sad version of All of Me, so it was nicknamed "None of Me (The Song of Rejection)" by Jason Lyle Black. Those who are familiar with All of Me will see why I find it so hilarious :]



0 comments: