BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Volleyball

This past week, I've been going to a volleyball camp at my junior high. It went from Tuesday to Friday, 1-3PM. Last year, I went to the volleyball camp, too. I tried out for the team last year, but didn't make it. I'm hoping I can make it this year.

I've pretty much been having trouble with serving, and some of my other skills aren't as good as they could be too. I would go to the volleyball court at the park with dad, and I couldn't get the stupid ball to go over the net. I am pretty good at bumping the ball, and I sorta need a little help with setting. I did have some issues with spiking too. Spiking was also a bit hard because I'm not tall enough to do it the correct way over the net.

I went to the park with dad Thursday and Friday morning before volleyball to work on my skills. On Thursday I started to get pretty upset because I couldn't serve still and I was in a bad mood. Miraculously though, I got two over the net during camp. I was so excited to practice with dad the next day, but I still couldn't get it over the net. I didn't get upset that time, but after a while, we started to work on spiking and I got loads better. I just have to hit it more up when I do it.

On the last day, we got into four lines and had five minutes to serve the ball over the net, go get it, and then give it to the next person in line. We had to get it into a hula hoop on the first bounce to get a point though. I was really happy because I actually got the ball over the net multiple times. The only time I got it into a hoop was when I hit a girl on the other side, and it bounced off of her into the hoop. I don't think that counts.

We worked on spiking after that, and I did very well I thought, and then we did some games.

Tryouts are on Monday (first day of school) right after school, and that's when they'll make the first cut. I asked them what they looked for, and they said skill, teachable, quick on their feet, and that sometimes they take someone who isn't very good over someone who is because of being easy to teach or something. I think I have a fair chance of making it. If I don't though, at least I know I'll make it in 9th grade, and I've got church volleyball to look forward to. Well, no, Church volleyball actually annoys me, but at least I'm still playing. Wish me luck!

0 comments: