BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Love Thy Neighbor?

Today, we went to church. The whole morning, I had been really upset, Ashley wouldn't let me into "our" bathroom to do my hair after I got out of the shower, so my hair was ugly because I didn't even do it (just brushed it and let it dry, which I never do), and I just wasn't very happy. I also had a presidency meeting after church, my friend was in the hospital, and I had to give the stupid lesson in Sunday School.

So I went into Sacrament Meeting still feeling like crap. I resisted the urge to run outside and freak out all during the opening exercises and stuff and even during Sis. Barlow's talk. I told myself that even though I was having a bad day, I was still going to do my lesson and not make someone else give it. When the next person got up to speak, mom took me outside on this hill at the back of the building, and we talked about stuff that was bothering me, and by the time we went back inside and the meeting was about over, I was feeling pretty good, even though I was self-conscious because this dress I was wearing made my butt big like the ugly step sisters in Cinderella, my hair was all weird, and I didn't even put on any makeup.


I went into Sunday School feeling happier and pretending everything was dandy. Everyone wanted to go outside, and since I was the teacher of the day and it was my choice, I said OK. It was really windy, but they still wanted to be out there. Everyone sat down except for Matt even though I told him multiple times to. I was pretty surprised, usually he's the best behaved in the class. I told Joye to give the opening prayer, but she didn't really want to, but I finally got her to, and everyone started to be quiet, but she started giggling, so I told Ethan to do it instead, but he didn't want to. Thankfully, Ryan offered to give it.

I started trying to give the lesson, which was titled "Love Thy Neighbor", while Matt still was doing whatever and people were talking. I asked them questions, and they started answering them, and a couple opened their scriptures when I told them to. Then Ethan went over to join Matt, and Andy (the "Sunday School Teacher" apparently) got a huge ball of grass and threw it at them and went to join them too. I just kept on going, asking them some more questions. I kept on telling Ethan, Andy, and Matt to answer the questions, but they were ignoring me. At least Ryan, Ben, and Joye were actually listening to me, so I gave them each gum. I then asked them to open their scriptures, and it took them a while before they finally did, and then I asked them to start reading, but then I looked at them, and they had closed their scriptures again. I told them we were going to read that and to open them again, but they ignored me, and I had no idea what was going on. I finally go so mad I threw the teacher's manual back at Andy, picked up my scriptures, and stormed back inside. I was so mad, they were being completely rude!

I was having a horrible day, and mom finally made it a bit happier for me, but they just made me feel worse. So much for love thy neighbor. I didn't even get past the first page of the manual. I know sometimes I'm obnoxious, but I'm never that bad am I? And even when I am rowdy, I always listen to the lesson and I'm able to tell you what it's about. I didn't want to stay in the church building and do nothing and wait for them to come find me, if they felt nice enough to. I went outside and walked straight home, crying the whole time. Nice job boys! You made a girl cry! When I finally got there, I put my stuff in my room, went into the living room...and played the piano. I always do this if I'm upset. I get to pound on the keys and express myself. I play two fairly long pieces that I had been working on, then got up to see the time. I saw that it was about ten minutes before YW started. I went into my bedroom to do my makeup so I wouldn't feel so ugly, and then I did my hair. I then walked back up to the church. I went into YW and felt even worse because all of the mia maids were going to their leader's house to eat cereal and listen to the lesson, which they do every month, but they usually have salsa or cinnamon rolls. I won't be a mia maid for another month and a half.

After church finally ended, I found that Ethan had left a voicemail and a text message saying sorry and that he was such a jerk. I was glad he apologized, unlike the other boys. I don't really blame Joye, she wasn't really that bad.

Now, I'm in comfortable sweats, mom is making a delicious dinner, and Amanda and Chelsie are sleeping over. All is well.


Moral of the story: Love Thy Neighbor!

3 comments:

John & Marjorie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your day! I'm trying to figure out if this Andy guy is an adult or not, and I think your classmates owe you a major apology. I think you're pretty amazing because you're able to end this day with a positive attitude and a forgiving heart!

Bonnie said...

I have the same question ... where was the Sunday School teacher to support you and why were you teaching in the first place!! Not that I don't complement you on your willingness to do it, but it is the teacher's responsibility to teach the lesson. You did a great job and I'm proud of you!

Celeste said...

Well Andy is like 21 or something. He told me to give the lesson this week because he didn't want to. While I was teaching, he was talking and joking up the hill away from us with Ethan and Matt and was ignoring me. I told mom about him, and she's not happy. Actually, he would never or rarely teach the lesson until one day we told him that we were sick of not having one.