BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Brand New Year Choir Takes Over Celeste's Weekend

Thought I'd update you about my spectacular weekend and I know that all of you have nothing better to do than to read this, so enjoy!

On Saturday I went to the Conference Center again for my Brand New Year Youth Choir thingy. I had to be there by 12PM and I was told to eat lunch beforehand and bring my super-duper handy-dandy backstage pass. Well... I was rushing to get ready and I grabbed a bag and put a few pieces of candy, my slacks, my pass, lip gloss, water bottle, and cellular device in there. I didn't have time to have breakfast or lunch. The color scheme in the choir was yellow, green, blue, and purple. For segment 1, I had to wear that color shirt and a black skirt with tights and black, closed toe shoes. My shirt was this pinkish purplish color which was silky and had two front pockets and a belt. It's a bit more than they asked for, but I had a bunch of girls tell me that they liked my shirt and some of them were rubbing their hands against it because it was so soft. That was a bit strange, but I was extremely flattered. The guys had regular Church clothes with a white dress shirt and a tie. For segment 2 and 3, I wore the same thing except for the girls changed into slacks. The guys changed their dress shirt color to the color scheme.

So Dad took me to the conference center (on the way I was frantically cutting and filing my nails since they were getting really long) and just before we got there, I thought I'd show him how I'd clipped my backstage pass to this clip sticking out of a blue pig which he'd given me a few weeks ago. I started digging around inside. And, as fate would have it, it wasn't there. Bummer. I started freaking out and dumping everything out and picking up each individual item to make sure that it wasn't the pig wearing a lip gloss, cell phone, or candy disguise. Dad kept on assuring me it was okay and I was saying that in the e-mail, it said we had to have it. Dad went into the conference center with me and the nice man in there said that he wasn't going to be mean and I could still go in. Dad whispered to me and said "See, I told you" and then I felt stupid for overreacting. It's not like they'd tell me to go home, but I was still worried.

They had us put all of our stuff in a room and then line up according to our height. Apparently they were changing the seating arrangement for the first segment which made me happy because I didn't like the people I was sitting next to before.

After we were all settled they said that for the next long long time, they would be showing us how everything was going to go. For the first segment, I would be in my skirt and in the seats that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is usually in while people made opening announcements about how they're recording this and this is special and we're so cool and wonderful and thanks for coming and blah blah blah. We then sang the opening hymn (which was more like three or four shoved into one song) and we had a prayer. While this dude gets up and says a 15 minute talk, we would run backstage and change into our segment 2 and 3 clothes. End of segment 1. Yay!! Applause!! Wolf Whistle!!

So they showed us where to go according to our letter (mine was A) on this stage thing in front of the seats that they built. There is a raised circle platform where the youth orchestra plays and below are these stair things that look like sun rays. This is where we are in almost the whole performance. So, depending on our letter and number (like mine was A2) we would go with our group to the backish part of the hall and when we got to a certain part in the song, we would run on stage and be all jumping and happy and excited and Oh Golly Gosh! Isn't it great to be a righteous Mormon? How are you? I love you, you rock, let's have fun! Maybe I'm being a little sarcastic but you get the idea. We start singing and then Brother Dahlquist (the General Young Men President) and Sister Dalton (the General Young Women President) come on and talk. They say (and I'm not exaggerating) "do you want to have fun?" Us: YES!! Presidents: "I can't hear you!" Us: YES!!! Presidents: Do you want to have some wholesome Latter-day Saint fun? Us: YES!!!!! Presidents: Well why didn't you just say so? Us: Oh, haha, we did! You are too funny! Good one! (just kidding, we didn't say that) Presidents: Then we'll show you how it's done! Jacob?... And then this kid starts singing and we all eventually get up and start clapping and dancing and having fun while some of the kids are down on the main platform singing and dancing. One starts break dancing and these two guys do a round-off layout. *Sigh* For those of you who don't know what that is, it's like a running cartwheel (if you don't know that, then you're hopeless) where you land with both feet and then do a back flip where your legs are straight and together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Rtzq1zQrI It's super fun to watch and to be in.

During the performance, we sing songs, some of the youth sing solos a lot, and talk about stuff and do different things on stage. We have videos of testimonies from kids all over the world and one of President Monson. Sister Dalton and Brother Dahlquist talk a lot and have a live, un-scripted discussion with some youth for part of it. For 15 minutes, we get out our For The Strength Of Youth books and write down things that we want to improve on in it, and we have to do it because the cameras will be looking at us. It's a pretty cool performance and I hope all of you will get to see it.

They gave us about five minutes for a break, so I took the time to look desperately for the place where they had us keep our stuff. I was really upset because I couldn't find it and I really truly wanted to eat my candy in there because I was starving since I had only a couple pieces of candy that day and it was around 3PM. I went back after the break with a broken heart, I was super upset because I was starving and I needed some chocolaty, sugary, nourishment.

We practiced for another two hours and a half and then at five fifteen-ish they let us have dinner. We went in the underground tunnels into the church office building and they gave us a scrumptious dinner. We got a bake potato, veggies (they were soggy and tasteless, but I ate them to be a good girl), this white chicken stuff with ham and turkey lunch meat (I think) on top, a salad, soda, a bendy straw, a roll, and cake. It was delectable. We went back and performed for the parents and got out on time, for once, at 9PM. We were there for 9 hours. They originally had it be 12 hours, but they changed it.

I went outside and waited for Dad to come. I was waiting forever when he called and said that his car broke down and that Mom was just barely leaving Marjorie's house (in Kaysville) and she should be here in 20 minutes. Alright. Cool. And Mom, I'm not saying you're bad parents, you guys couldn't help this, this is something that happens.... to me. Dad said to stay inside. I went in, but the people said they were going to close the doors. I went out and just laid down on this short stone wall thing in the front. Everyone who went past me said "Hi". Maybe they were checking to see if I was real or something. That was fun, and I tried to text Ashley but she didn't text back after the second one, and I couldn't find my Hershey's candy. Eventually Mom and Dad came and I told them that their only chance to see me perform was just barely and it's a bummer. When we got home, I watched Spiderman and found my Hershey's candy.

Today, I had another three hour practice which was super fun. It actually was, this one guy who's in my section... he's really nice, and a good singer, and cute. I was also really happy because this girl said that she liked my nail polish and I just blushed like crazy at that and then couldn't stop smiling.

The End.

Ha, just kidding. But, now I don't have anything else to say, so... The End.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Is your Brand New Year Choir going to be on the DVD being released at the beginning of December to the YM & YW of the church?

Celeste said...

Yes it is... I'm going to be famous. All of North America (except Mexico) will get to see me!