BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Childhood Fun

Childhood Fun

I have an older sister named Ashley who I love very much. We have so many great memories of playing games and getting into trouble together. Sometimes I wish I could go back and live it all again. I love looking at old pictures of us together before the other two sisters came along.
Our number one favorite thing to do was to play Barbies. Unlike other kids we knew, all of our Barbies had a specific name and personality. There wasn’t a different story each time we played; they were always the same kind of Barbie with the same family and hobbies. Ashley and I were always giant Ashley and giant Celeste, and we loved to help the Barbies and the Barbies loved us.
One story that we did a lot was to have the Barbies become slaves. Our evil panda bear or a rag doll we named Hades would come and make them all do terrible things like writing your name a hundred million billion times, making one hundred pancakes, running one thousand miles, and other atrocious things that included big numbers. Ashley and Celeste giants would come later and defeat the evil slaver and save all of the Barbies.
Another of our favorites was having the Barbies work at McDonald’s. That was our dream job and we loved to have the Barbies make chicken nuggets and hamburgers and party there at the best place in town. I always made the chicken nuggets and Ashley liked to make the hamburgers.
I can’t remember a lot of specific stories with the Barbies, but I just remember we played them a lot and had tons of fun. It was always a sad day when we had to throw away a broken Barbie because we grew very attached to them.
A movie that Ashley and I watched a lot was “A Bug’s Life”. After seeing the way those terrible, evil grasshoppers treated the poor ants, Ashley and I decided we should do our part. We liked to leave out a couple of crumbs on our front porch to get a crowd of ants. Then, we would gather many leaves and grass and flowers and put them in a huge pile for the ants to give to the grasshoppers. It was very fun to do and a favorite activity of ours. Our parents, however, would get upset with us because the land lord would have to clean up the mess and get after our parents.
We played many games together and we loved to hang out. I was always very lonely when she got to go to school and I had to stay home and wait for her to come home on the days that I didn’t have preschool. She usually bought me a soda from her school though (it used to be a junior high so it had lockers and a soda machine) and when we came home, we would play for hours.
Ashley’s best friend in the neighborhood was a girl named Helene. We loved to play with Helene all the time. We had to hide our Barbies whenever she came over though, because she hated them and liked to take their clothes off and rip off their heads. One of my best memories of Helene was when she and her older sister came over for a sleepover at my house, and each of us was one of the muses from Hercules. We put sleeping bags in front of the TV then watched Hercules and sang and danced like the muses. It was super fun.
I was extremely skinny for my age. The doctors said I was off the charts, yet I ate tons of food. Therefore, a lot of people thought my mom was starving me. A favorite game of mine and Ashley’s was having me put on my clothes and run around and see how long it took them to fall off since I was so sickly skinny. None of my clothes stayed on very well and it always amused us to no end.
We both shared a big room in the basement for a while, and it was hard to keep it clean because we were always playing games. Whenever our mom would tell us to clean our room, we would eat smarties candies to think of smart ways to clean our room quickly without doing any work. We usually liked to stack up our big toys against the door in the hopes that our mom wouldn’t be able to come into the room and see how little progress we’ve made. I still have the image clear in my mind of our mom banging the door open and our doll house flying from the door and her evil mother eyes glaring at us. She would then take out a trash bag and start to throw away our toys so we would hurry fast to clean up our toys.
Ashley and I continued to play a lot together like sledding down the stairs, climbing up the wall and then jumping off onto cushions, playing outside in our play house, and many other fun things.
Eventually Ashley spent less time with me until we barely hung out at all. The only time I hung out with her for a while was when my cousin was over and my sister had a boyfriend. She was grounded though, so she had me pretend to go on a walk with her so Mom wouldn’t be suspicious and then she would go meet him at the junior high while I stood around and watched.
Now that we’re both older, we are now good friends again. I love to just talk with her in her room or after school about things going on. One of my favorite things to discuss is our childhood memories and our many fun games we played.

0 comments: